PerfectFlow is a batch-wise continuous fluid transfer system that is a unique solution to increase net income up to 18% for participating plants with a return on investment up to 46%.
Experts in the field of fluid transfer (rheology) indicate that PerfectFlow is the most important cost reduction innovation in years, and the larger the company using it, the larger the benefit received.
PerfectFlow is a concept unique to C. H. & I. Technologies, Inc. ("CHI TECH®”), and it embodies proprietary technology. CHI TECH is over 20 years old. Many of its sealed and refillable systems have been in service for over 20 years.
PerfectFlow is a unique, energy-efficient, fluid transfer system using refillable, reusable, and recyclable systems. Using PerfectFlow, you increase profits, earn a high return on investment, and improve corporate sustainability.
For a fluid manufacturer's industrial customers, the financial rewards from PerfectFlow for participating operations are very compelling, in particular, reducing fluid transfer energy costs up to 80% with an increase in net income up to 18% and a return on investment up to 46% without a utility rebate, or up to 100% with a rebate.
For a fluid manufacturer's European operations, they have a "free" shot to introduce PerfectFlow refillable packaging solutions to enable them to grow without increasing their environmental footprint. The Green Dot fees that they pay each year are more than enough to pay for the start-up costs for their refill programs; that is, one year's Green Dot fees cover all of such start-up costs.
- PerfectFlow energy costs are about 80% less when comparing PerfectFlow to pneumatic pumps since PerfectFlow uses 2.8 – 4.5 CFM per gallon of fluid versus 20+ CFM for pneumatic.
- PerfectFlow energy costs are about 20% less when comparing PerfectFlow to hydraulic pumps.
- If you have between 2 and 8 compressors, you'll end up using 2 compressors.
- If you have between 9 and 12 compressors, you'll end up using 3 compressors.
The introduction of PerfectFlow is low risk and high reward because . . .
PerfectFlow can be introduced on a step-by-step, system-by-system, station-by-station basis:
- Thereby validating the value proposition at each stage, and
- Ensuring proper education and training of plant personnel
The financial benefits from using PerfectFlow with bulk fluid storage are even greater:
- Increased after-tax net income up to 23%, for participating operations
- A return on investment up to 86% without a utility rebate, or up to 180% with a rebate
- Reduced energy, transportation, and certain other costs up to 29%
- What's unique about PerfectFlow that helps generate benefits of use?
- PerfectFlow is the only fluid transfer system that is sealed, refillable, self-powered, portable, and robust. Since PerfectFlow systems are sealed, they can be refilled from bulk storage without risk of product degradation or contamination. Using bulk storage, you can now ship more fluid and less steel so your cost per gallon of fluid shipped to your plant is substantially lower.
- How can PerfectFlow be both refillable and sealed?
- Because the patented PerfectFlow system includes an integral, dual-function valve for both dispensing and refilling, the PerfectFlow system is both sealed and refillable.
PerfectFlow is the only fluid transfer system that is sealed, refillable, self-powered, portable, and robust. Since PerfectFlow systems are sealed, they can be refilled from bulk storage without the risk of product degradation or contamination. Using bulk storage, you can now ship more fluid and less steel so your cost per gallon of fluid shipped to your plant is substantially lower.
Because the patented PerfectFlow system includes an integral, dual-function valve for both dispensing and refilling, the PerfectFlow system is both sealed and refillable.
There are two ways you can refill your PerfectFlow portable systems:
- Your fluid manufacturer refills the PerfectFlow portable systems
- You refill your PerfectFlow portable systems from bulk storage
Or a combination of the two.
No. PerfectFlow is both easy and inexpensive to introduce because it does not require high-pressure piping, eliminates pumps, has no moving parts, is easy to operate, requires no maintenance, enjoys ready acceptance by union personnel, and, where required, has high pump compatibility.
PerfectFlow systems are not sold. They are provided to you in return for a royalty. They pay for their start-up costs in about two years by reducing energy, transportation, and waste costs, assuming no utility rebate; or about one year with a rebate. PerfectFlow systems have a useful life of 20 years or more.
PerfectFlow versus Traditional Thick Fluid Systems
When you adopt PerfectFlow, you will contract directly Licensed fluid repackagers of PerfectFlow systems. PerfectFlow provides on-going design and technical support to these repackagers. These contractors are responsible for the delivery of PerfectFlow systems that are tailored to your specific needs, including providing specifications for PerfectFlow systems and training of your personnel for training.
The following table summarizes the reduction in energy, transportation, and certain other costs for participating operations under two scenarios: 1) use of PerfectFlow without conversion to bulk storage, and 2) use of PerfectFlow with bulk storage. In addition, it is assumed that there is a distributed fluid network to minimize overall plant costs and certain labor and forklift resources are required to maintain a distributed fluid network. While labor and forklifts are resident in a plant, their costs are allocated to use of PercfectFlow based on cost and time of use.
|Reduction In Energy, Transportation, And Certain Other Costs|
|Traditional||PerfectFlow Portable||PerfectFlow & Bulk1|
|Labor & Fork Lift||7%||7%|
1. Bulk storage
2. See breakdown of savings in the next FAQ.
3. Assumes no local utility rebate to pay for PerfectFlow equipment
The above analysis provides an evaluation of PerfectFlow costs relative to traditional costs in two ways. The column titled "PerfectFlow Portable" provides a comparison for replacing traditional containers with PerfectFlow portable systems where PerfectFlow portable systems are filled by the fluid manufacturers. The column titled "PerfectFlow & Bulk" provides a comparison of non-bulk fluid to in-plant bulk fluid storage and then refilling PerfectFlow portable systems using such bulk installation.
Here is the breakdown of savings from increased operational simplicity.
|Workers' Comp Savings||1%|
PerfectFlow value drivers include:
- Reduction in fluid-transfer energy costs up to 80%
- Savings through enhanced use of energy curable product up to $.15/square foot
- Change in gross margin up to 1% from plant consolidation through enhanced use of energy curable product
- Elimination of pumps and service costs
- Elimination of high-pressure headers & piping
- Reduction in transportation costs up to 30%
- Mitigation of phase separation
- Reduction in waste and rework
- High tolerance for particulates
- Larger encapsulations
- Larger particulate components
- Crushable weight-reducing, fillers
- Low shear fluid transfer to maintain product quality
The net effect of the cost savings on after-tax net income and return on investment is summarized in the following table:
|FINANCIAL BENEFITS FROM PERFECTFLOW||PerfectFlow*||PerfectFlow & Bulk**|
|Increase in net income for participating plants||Up to 19%||Up to 23%|
|Return on investment||Up to 48%||Up to 89%|
* For participating plants; based plant data
** PerfectFlow units are filled from in-plant bulk tanks
Fluid Manufacturer Participation
PerfectFlow can help fluid manufacturers lower their logistical risk profile. PerfectFlow containers are robust and have been driven over by D8 tractors. The containers were deformed and dented, but they did not leak.
Here's what happened when an ink supplier did not use PerfectFlow. The accident in this photograph occurred March 9, 2011. The truck was hauling 16,000 pounds of industrial printer ink when it flipped, shut down an interstate access ramp, and red, blue, and yellow ink hit the pavement -- it made a dramatic picture. Cleaning crews working with the Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection arrived on the scene within hours to contain the spill and prevent the ink, which is nontoxic, from reaching the water table. The first solution was to try to soak it up with "kitty litter” and sand. That didn’t work.
The final solution was to repave the spill site.
Yes. With PerfectFlow, a fluid manufacturer has new options for product formulation that can enhance both its marketing and strategic strength. PerfectFlow not only accommodates both shear-thickening and shear-thinning fluids, PerfectFlow also has a very high tolerance for crushable fillers, large encapsulations, and large particulates. These encapsulations enable a fluid manufacturer to modify fluid characteristics at the point of application.
PerfectFlow can deliver multiple streams of product concurrently at the point of application. By using multiple-streams of reactive product components that only operate at the moment of application, exciting fluid amendments can enhance significantly the process and the end result.
Although PerfectFlow is a low-energy, meaning low-pressure, system, careful design accommodates:
✓ Herschel Bulkley fluids
✓ Bingham plastics
✓ Newtonian fluids
✓ Dilatant fluids
Since PerfectFlow is a closed system, there is greater control of fluid initiators. For example, a fluid manufacturer can deliver either moisture-sensitive or air-sensitive fluids without concern for product degradation.
The low-energy PerfectFlow system can be designed for high efficiency. An example of high efficiency with PerfectFlow is summarized in the table below:
|HIGH ENERGY EFFICIENCY|
|Flow rate||5 GPM|
Training can be done in about one hour because the PerfectFlow system has no moving parts and uses quick disconnects or cam-locks. About half of that time will be for explanation of PerfectFlow; half for training to operate PerfectFlow.
For manual reordering, it is like your other products: your personnel or fluid manufacturers audit and reorder. For wireless reordering, PerfectFlow includes wireless communication for:
- Inventory monitoring
- Near-empty notification
How PerfectFlow Works
PerfectFlow oil systems are ideal for virtually any liquid. The PerfectFlow oil system, in its simplest form, consists of two units, each with its own hoses and fittings. It is pictured on the right. The white system is for new liquid and the gray system is for used liquid; each has a volumetric capacity of about 22 gallons. The PerfectFlow cart is specially designed to carry these new-liquid and used-oil systems.
A typical application for the PerfectFlow oil system is machinery fluid change. The following cutaway diagram illustrates a typical PerfectFlow oil system.
The PerfectFlow grease system is ideal for virtually any thick fluid. The PerfectFlow grease system generally consists of a PerfectFlow unit plus a specially designed PerfectFlow cart, plus a 15:1 pump. It is pictured on the right. For fluid repackagers, the PerfectFlow thick fluid system has proven that it can be your greatest marketing tool to capture new accounts. Customers so rapidly and so readily identify with the benefits that they end up selling themselves.
A typical application for the PerfectFlow grease system is lubricating machinery. The following cutaway diagram illustrates a typical PerfectFlow grease system:
Yes. PerfectFlow can be of any size and any design. A PerfectFlow system can be 5 ml or smaller or as large as 2.3 kiloliters or larger. It can include many different materials of construction: steel, PET, polycarbonate, acrylic, PVC, even aluminum.
- Sealed and refillable
- Embedded codes
- Low pressure that mitigates phase separation in products
- Flexibility in materials of construction and size
- Filled and discharged from top or bottom
- Useful life of 20 years or more
- Single- or multiple-stream dispensing
- Adaptable to almost every type of container : bottles, tubes, jars, vials, and others
- Sealed transfer of fluids – the contents are untouched by contaminants
- Adaptable to changing demands
- Single- or multiple-stream dispensing
- High tolerance for abrasives
- Compatible with encapsulations
- Cleaning ports for systems without dedicated duty
It is a PerfectFlow system that dispenses multiple fluids concurrently. For example, it may dispense two, three, or four different fluids to achieve a desired effect. Some fluid components must be kept separate to prevent premature reactions. Epoxies and some polymers are good examples.
The PerfectFlow Intermediate Bulk Containers (IBC)
Current PerfectFlow IBCs range in size from 7 gallons to 450 gallons. All PerfectFlow IBCs are sealed, refillable, and reusable. This keeps products pure and contamination-free. All PerfectFlow IBCs are DOT or ASME approved.
The mechanism in a PerfectFlow IBC is functionally similar to other PerfectFlow units in that they are sealed. The IBC is a key source of logistical leverage. It can be of any size to accommodate desired service periodicity or degree of logistical leverage. Refilling a PerfectFlow system is highly flexible and can accommodate changes in logistical strategies. You can start PerfectFlow system refilling with factory rotation and as volume increases move to refilling from bulk tanks in your plant.
The following table summarizes PerfectFlow IBC typical specifications:
|PERFECTFLOW IBC - TYPICAL SPECIFICATIONS||450-gallon
|Dimensions||48" x 94"||15" x 53"|
|Sealed & Refillable||Yes||Yes|
|Tare Weight (pounds)||1,800||99|
|Embedded Codes||RFID & Bar||RFID & Bar|
Yes. PerfectFlow IBCs can be designed for easy cleaning either for prescribed maintenance or for a change in fluid. One feature useful for easy cleaning is a series of cleaning ports, seen in this photograph.
PerfectFlow IBCs accommodate fluids with different characteristics by having their design specifications properly selected from thousands of design options. That is, PerfectFlow IBCs are designed for specific fluids. PerfectFlow IBCs can be designed to handle fluids up to 12,000,000 cp.